Tender lamb chunks and green peas, swimming in a tasty tomato broth. Greek home style cooking at its best!
Although in most stew recipes, peas are just an afterthought, here, they are the star!Susan Tweeton
- 1½–2 pounds lean stew meat, lamb or beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 bay leaves
- 1–2 teaspoons oregano
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounce)
- 3 cups water or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Green peas
- Use 2 pounds fresh-shelled peas or one large (32 ounce) bag frozen peas.
- Heat olive oil in heave Dutch oven.
- Add lamb/beef in batches and brown well on all sides; set aside.
- Add onion to pot and sauté until golden. Drain off any excess fat.
- Return lamb/beef to pot and add garlic, bay leaves, oregano, allspice, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, and water or beef broth.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 1–1½ hours until meat is just tender.
- Add peas and cook approximately 20 additional minutes until meat and vegetables are completely tender.
- Adjust seasonings.
Serve with sweet French bread and/or roasting potatoes.