Silky smooth, sumptuous and rich, with a distinct lemon tang. Nothing could be better served with cooked vegetables of all kinds, and especially stuffed cabbage or grape leaves. A true Greek classic!
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 ½ – 3 cups heated broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Juice of two lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour, stirring mixture to blend well.
- Allow butter/flour mixture to cook and bubble at least one minute.
- Slowly pour in heated broth, stirring continuously.
- Cook mixture until thickened.
- Turn heat to low.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl with lemon juice.
- Add hot sauce, ladleful by ladleful, to egg mixture.
- Incorporate at least half of sauce into eggs.
- Slowly pour back egg/sauce mixture into sauce in pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat for at least five minutes.
- Keep warm over very low heat.
Serve with cooked cabbage wedges, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, zucchini, artichokes, stuffed cabbage leaves, and fish.