A flavorsome combination of Greek stewed green beans in a tasty tomato sauce. Simple, healthful, and delicious. A wonderful holiday alternative to the usual cream soup based green bean casseroles.
- 2 pounds string beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ – ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 – 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ – ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons mint
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup water or broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- In Dutch oven, sauté onion lightly in olive oil.
- Add tomato sauce, string beans, and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 60 minutes or until all vegetable are tender.
- Check after 30 minutes; add more water or broth if necessary.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot or room temperature.