A hearty stew, bursting with vegetables and simmered in a tasty tomato sauce. A fine example of Greek home style cooking.
- 1½ – 2 pounds lean beef or lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 bay leaves
- 1 – 2 teaspoons oregano
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 – 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water or beef broth
- 1-teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in heavy Dutch oven.
- Add beef in batches and brown well on all sides; set aside.
- Add onion to pot and sauté until golden.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Return beef to pot and add garlic, bay leaves, oregano, allspice, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, and water or beef broth.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 1-½ hours until meat is just tender.
- Add desired vegetables and cook approximately 30 additional minutes until meat and vegetables are completely tender.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with sweet French bread and/or roasted potatoes.
- Green Beans: Cut 2 pounds fresh green beans in 3-inch lengths, or use one large (28 ounce) bag of frozen green bean cuts.
- Peas: Use 2 pounds fresh-shelled peas or one large (32 ounce) bag frozen peas.
- Okra: Use 1-pound fresh okra or one 16-ounce bag frozen okra.
- Zucchini: Use 6-8 medium fresh zucchini (approximately 2 pounds) cut into large pieces.
- Lima Beans: Use 1 pound large fresh-shelled lima beans or one 16-ounce bag frozen large (NOT “baby”) lima beans.
- Potatoes: Use 2 pounds red or white potatoes cut into large pieces (peeled, if desired).
- Potatoes and Green Beans: Use 1 pound red or white potatoes cut into large pieces (peeled, if desired) and either 1 pound fresh green beans cut into 3 inch lengths or one 16-ounce bag frozen green bean cuts.