These delicious meatballs are a staple of the Greek diet. Wonderful as appetizers or a main dish, served plain or simmered in tomato sauce.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or lamb
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, finely minced
- 2–4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon mint
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill
- ¼ cup parsley (optional)
- Olive oil
- Combine all ingredients and mix well with hands.
- Shape into 16 round patties, like thick hamburgers.
- Dredge patties in flour.
- Pan fry in oil until well browned and cooked all the way through.
Serve hot or cold with either plain, unsweetened yogurt or Tsatziki.