Deliciously different! A perfect appetizer spread with crackers.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or crushed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup wine vinegar or lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place whole, washed eggplant in greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350° oven 60 minutes, until soft. Allow skin to turn black so as to give a smoky flavor to the salad.
- Allow eggplant to cool off a bit so you can handle it.
- Slice the eggplant down the middle and scoop out the pulp.
- Put the eggplant pulp on a cutting board and chop it up finely.
- Lightly sauté chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped eggplant, onion and garlic mixture with all the olive oil, and vinegar or lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Serve with pita bread, flat bread, or whole wheat/sesame crackers (like Ak Mak).