Tender pasta layered with a meaty tomato sauce and topped off with a Parmesan flavored egg custard. Similar to Moussaka, this classic Greek dish is famous throughout the world, and a favorite at Greek restaurants and festivals.
This casserole is tasty and looks impressive. It’s a perfect dish for company because it can be cut neatly into servings to suit individual appetites.Susan Tweeton
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2–4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 6-ounce can.tomato paste
- 1 cup water (or ½ cup water and ½ cup red wine)
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-pound small elbow macaroni
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Dash nutmeg
- Salt to taste
Meat Sauce Preparation:
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil; do not brown.
- Brown ground beef or lamb; drain well.
- Add browned ground meat, tomato paste, water (or water and wine), nutmeg, allspice cinnamon, and oregano to onion mixture.
- Simmer about 20 minutes over medium heat; sauce will not be juicy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (do not over salt).
- Cook macaroni until al dente in boiling salted water.
- Rinse in cool water and drain.
- Combine 1-cup meat sauce and ½ cup Parmesan cheese with macaroni; blend well.
Cream Sauce Preparation:
- Melt butter and stir in flour.
- Cook over medium/low heat, stirring until mixture is well blended and bubbling.
- Add warmed milk and stir continuously until sauce is well blended and begins to thicken.
- Take sauce off heat.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Allow sauce to cool.
- Add beaten eggs to sauce.
- Stir until all sauce is blended with eggs.
- Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and dash nutmeg.
- Brush bottom of 13” x 9” baking dish with olive oil.
- Spread ½ of macaroni mixture into bottom of pan.
- Spoon remaining meat mixture over macaroni.
- Top with remaining macaroni mixture.
- Pour cream sauce over all.
- Bake at 350° for 45 – 60 minutes (the top should be set, slightly puffy, and nicely browned).
- Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
You must be logged in to post a comment.