This fresh garlic sauce packs a punch! Bursting with flavor, this fresh spread perks up simple fried or boiled vegetables, and it also livens up fried fish.
This sauce is absolutely addictive! It tastes so good, but beware…the fresh garlic will require a follow-up regimen of teeth brushing, mouthwash and breath mints!Susan Tweeton
- 6–8 cloves fresh garlic
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1-cup mashed potatoes or fresh white breadcrumbs (moistened and squeezed dry)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
Using a mortar and pestle:
- Clean and crush garlic with salt in a mortar.
- Add either the mashed potatoes or the breadcrumbs.
- Pound well until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar alternately in very small quantities, stirring the sauce with the pestle.
Using an electric mixer:
- Crush garlic with garlic press.
- Mix potatoes or breadcrumbs with garlic and salt in bowl with electric mixer, adding olive oil with the lemon juice and vinegar very slowly until completely absorbed.
- Continue to beat until the sauce is stiff enough to hold its shape.
Using a nlender:
- In an electric blender, blend garlic, salt, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- Add mashed potatoes or breadcrumbs.
- Add olive oil slowly. If mixture is too thick to blend, add one tablespoon of water at a time
Serve with broiled or fried fish, fried eggplant or zucchini and with cooked beets and beet greens.