This is not a typical beef stew. Spicy, meaty, and full of pearl onions! Family and friends will rave about this delicious concoction!
This stew is perfect for cold wintery days!Susan Tweeton
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–2 pounds pearl onions, peeled
- 2–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1½–2 cups water or beef broth
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in heavy Dutch oven.
- Add beef in batches and brown well on all sides; set aside.
- Add onion to pot and sauté until golden; set aside.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Return beef to pot and add garlic, bay leaves, tomato paste, wine, wine vinegar, spices, and water or broth.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 60 minutes until meat is just tender.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Add onions and cook approximately 30 additional minutes until meat and onions are completely tender.
- Adjust seasonings.
Serve Stifado with rice, noodles, or potatoes.
*Variation: Use 1–2 tablespoons pickling spice instead of bay leaves and ground spices. Place pickling spices in cheesecloth square, tie, and simmer along with stew. Remove before serving.