- Filling of choice (see filling recipes below)
- 1-pound fillo dough (thaw frozen dough at room temperature for 5 hours or in refrigerator overnight)
- Unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 large carton cottage cheese (May substitute one large tub of ricotta cheese or two 8-ounce packages of cream cheese.)
- 8 oz. Feta cheese
- 2 tbsp. dry, unflavored breadcrumbs
- Beat eggs
- Chop/crumble Feta cheese
- Combine eggs, cottage cheese, Feta cheese, and breadcrumbs in large bowl. Mix well.
- Prepare desired filling.
- Cover fillo sheets with a moist tea towel to prevent drying.
- Place 1 fillo sheet on clean work surface and brush with either oil or butter.
- Cut buttered/oiled sheet in half.
- Place 1 teaspoon of desired filling at bottom right hand corner of fillo strip.
- Fold corner over to opposite edge, making a triangle.
- Continue folding (as you would a flag), keeping triangular shape with each fold.
- Place each completed triangle seam side down on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining filling and fillo; brush each triangle top with melted butter.
- Triangles may be frozen unbaked. When baking from frozen state, do not defrost first. Preheat oven to 350°, and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. You may have to bake them a little longer or flip them over in the oven.
- Bake at 350° for about 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
Low fat version: use non-fat cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese or cream cheese), non-cholesterol egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters), and an olive oil vegetable spray (such as Pam).