This fresh and flavorful sauce is the perfect accompaniment for broiled meats, chicken, and ground meat dishes. This will add a zip to any dish!
- 2 cups plain yogurt, drained
- 2 standard cucumbers or 1 English cucumber
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Place a piece of cheesecloth in a colander and pour in the yogurt. Allow the yogurt to drain for at least 2 hours.
- Peel cucumbers (do not peel English cucumber).
- Remove seeds with a spoon.
- Grate the cucumbers.
- Strain and squeeze dry cucumbers tightly using a cloth.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate for at least ½ hour.
Serve with warmed pita bread pieces, gyros, and raw vegetables.