A classic dish, popular at Greek restaurants and festivals. Creamy filling with the tang of feta cheese surrounded by layers of flaky phyllo pastry dough. A treat for the tastebuds!
- 4–5 eggs
- 1 large carton cottage cheese
- 8 ounces Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry, unflavored breadcrumbs
- 1 pound phyllo
- 1 cup olive oil
- Beat eggs
- Chop/crumble Feta cheese
- Combine eggs, cottage cheese, Feta cheese, and breadcrumbs in large bowl. Mix well.
To Assemble Pita:
- Layer ½ phyllo sheets for bottom of pita.
- Do not cut bottom phyllo sheets to pan size; keep sides up.
- Brush olive oil between each layer of phyllo; brush sides.
- Pour in filling; spread evenly.
- Fold phyllo sides over to completely enclose filling.
- Cut remaining ½ phyllo sheets to pan size.
- Continue layering phyllo sheets, brushing olive oil between each layer.
- Brush top of final phyllo sheet with butter to aid browning.
- Trim excess phyllo dough from sides and corners of pan.
- Cut through TOP phyllo layers ONLY; do NOT cut all the way through.
- Bake pita at 350° for 45–60 minutes; pita should be light, golden brown.
- Let cool for at least ½ hour before cutting all the way through.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers.