A favorite at Greek restaurants and festivals, these sandwiches may also be made at home. A delicious alternative to the American hamburger.
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1 pound lean ground beef/veal/pork
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely minced/grated onion (optional)
- 3–6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil
- Pita or flat bread
- Onions, cut into thin slices
- Tomatoes, cut into thin slices
- Feta cheese
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Form into eight very thin oval shaped patties.
- Heat skillet and brush with olive oil.
- Fry patties until well browned, turning once. Patties may be grilled, turning once.
Serve in folded warm pita bread. Garnish with Tzatziki, thinly sliced onions, and thinly sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with Feta cheese, if desired.